Quantcast

Online ‘troll’ apologizes for false `Sandy’ tweets



WASHINGTON – The Twitter “troll” who became an online villain after several false tweets about the destruction of Hurricane Sandy has apologized and resigned from a Republican congressional campaign.

Twitterati had heaped criticism on @ComfortablySmug after the micro-blogger claimed the New York Stock Exchange was flooded and that Con Edison was shutting off all power to New York City during the storm.

Both “breaking” news posts were refuted by authorities, but not before being retweeted hundreds of times, sparking panic as the massive storm devastated the US East Coast and claimed dozens of lives.

After going silent for several hours, on Tuesday evening @ComfortablySmug offered “the people of New York a sincere, humble and unconditional apology.”

“During a natural disaster that threatened the entire city, I made a series of irresponsible and inaccurate tweets,” the user wrote.

“While some would use the anonymity and instant feedback of social media as an excuse, I take full responsibility for my actions.”

The Buzzfeed online news site had earlier identified @ComfortablySmug as a 29-year-old hedge fund analyst and the campaign manager of New York Republican congressional candidate Christopher Wright.

@ComfortablySmug did not identify himself or herself in the mea culpa, but confirmed that he or she had resigned from Wright’s campaign.

Wright’s campaign website said Tuesday that his campaign manager had resigned and been replaced, without providing further details.

Angry Twitter users had heaped criticism on @ComfortablySmug after the postings were shown to be made-up, and many remained furious after the apology, saying the prank had given social media a bad name.

“Kudos on your direct apology and owning up to your bad behavior. But why?” wrote Joe Grossberg at @grossberg.

“You’re only sorry you got caught. Have a nice life hating yourself scumbag!” wrote Tom Reynolds at @tomreynolds.

Others called on @ComfortablySmug to make amends to storm victims and to reporters who might have been put in danger by trying to verify the claims.

“You sir, are an example of Twitter at its worst. How about you help rescue victims on, say Long Island?” Viviane at @viviane212 wrote, referring to one of the hardest-hit areas.









Recent Stories:

China’s nine-dash line came ahead of Unclos, says expert 1 hour elapsed PGH asks court for 2 more weeks to conduct Enrile check-up 1 hour elapsed DOTC: Repair of NAIA comfort rooms, air conditioners on full swing 2 hours elapsed Napoles lawyer on NGO ‘offices’: What’s wrong with houses, garages? 2 hours elapsed Breakaway Moro group admits alliance with ISIS 2 hours elapsed UP profs, students: Don’t remove Filipino from college curriculum 2 hours elapsed Enrile endorsed P345M of ‘pork funds’ to bogus NGOs–COA 2 hours elapsed Napoles didn’t receive notice of refund from COA 2 hours elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

  • http://argggh.why.me/ Kilabot ng mga Balahibo

    Son, I am disappoint.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace