Quantcast
Latest Stories

Driverless car concept gains traction at CES

By

A Lexus LS Integrated Safety self-driving car is displayed at the Lexus booth during the 2013 International CES at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Jan. 8, 2013, in Las Vegas, Nevada. JUSTIN SULLIVAN/GETTY IMAGES/AFP

LAS VEGAS –Automakers and technology firms are jumping on the bandwagon of the driverless car, which remains a concept as well as a platform for new technologies to improve safety on the road.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, Toyota and Audi showed off their ideas for autonomous vehicles, in the wake of the push by Google on its driverless car. And others may follow suit.

Toyota drew considerable attention with its electronically gussied-up Lexus sedan, equipped with a host of sensors and cameras that can detect what is around the vehicle.

“It has the ability to drive itself, but we won’t allow it,” said Jim Pisz, corporate manager at Toyota North America.

Pisz said the technology is similar to Google’s with the use of electronics, but that “the Google focus is on software mapping, that’s what they’re really good at. Toyota focuses on safety programs and more integrated programs.”

The Japanese automaker maintains that its 2013 Lexus LS, also being shown at the expo, already has “the world’s most advanced pre-collision safety system” but its driverless cars are only being used in closed research centers, unlike Google’s publicized road tours.

The growing use of advanced electronics for auto safety, communications and entertainment has prompted a record eight automakers to attend the Las Vegas show, along with dozens of firms working on related products and services.

“Electronics are vital to our cars. Today’s cars are rolling computers,” Audi executive Wolfgang Duerheimer told reporters at CES.

The German automaker’s Ulrich Hofmann told AFP that the new technology “helps the driver in situations where it’s boring to drive, and leaves you to drive when it is fun.”

At the Las Vegas tech confab, Audi showed its concept for a driverless vehicle in a simulator.

Hofmann said an autonomous car could be developed within five to eight years but noted that “there are a lot of regulatory and legal issues.”

Ford Motor Co. researcher Pim van der Jagt said the US auto giant halted its program on driverless cars several years ago.

The concert “seemed so far out, it didn’t make sense having big teams working on it,” he said, but added that “now, with the interest in the Google car, politicians are starting to speak about it” and Ford has resumed its program.

Nevertheless, “a full autonomous car is far out, and may even never exist,” van der Jagt said.

Audi engineers say they can envision an on-off switch which could be used in traffic jams on highways, where vehicles could join a sort of motorcade traveling at identical speeds, freeing a driver for a few moments.

In September, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill clearing the way for self-driving cars to jockey with human-operated vehicles to test the technology on the state’s roads.

The state of Nevada in May issued a license plate giving Google’s self-driving car the green light to travel along public roads there.

The growing talk of autonomous cars has sparked fresh interest in how the tech sector—which has been under fire for fueling “distracted driving—can improve auto safety and the driving experience.

“Everybody gets distracted at some point,” said Steven Wenger of Mobileye, a company that makes equipment for crash avoidance for major automakers and as a consumer aftermarket device.

“Three seconds could save a person’s life. We want people to be aware of these technologies which can help avoid accidents.”


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter




Recent Stories:

Anti-Obama protesters clash with police in Manila 7 mins elapsed Lacson: Number of pork-tainted senators could form quorum 9 mins elapsed Anti-Obama protesters clash with police in Manila 15 mins elapsed Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend 38 mins elapsed Napoles’ surgery successful—doctor 39 mins elapsed Santiago wants Senate to recall Napoles 52 mins elapsed Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate 1 hour elapsed Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix climbs 2 hours elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: auto , CES , Electronics , IT , motoring , US



Copyright © 2014,
.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement Advertisement

News

  • Anti-Obama protesters clash with police in Manila
  • Lacson: Number of pork-tainted senators could form quorum
  • Anti-Obama protesters clash with police in Manila
  • Napoles’ surgery successful—doctor
  • Santiago wants Senate to recall Napoles
  • Sports

  • Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series
  • David Moyes out as Manchester United manager
  • Nadal to face fellow Spaniard at Barcelona Open
  • Defensive Chelsea holds Atletico in scoreless draw
  • Popovich wins NBA coach of the year
  • Lifestyle

  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Sweet party for Andi Manzano
  • Safety in online buying and selling
  • Entertainment

  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Summer movie preview: Bay reboots ‘Transformers’
  • Business

  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • $103M Vista Land bonds tendered for redemption
  • Oil slips to $102 as US crude supplies seen rising
  • SC stops Meralco power rate hike anew
  • Technology

  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Brazil passes trailblazing Internet privacy law
  • New York police Twitter campaign backfires badly
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  • China, rivals sign pact to ease maritime tensions
  • Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate
  • Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
  • Violence mars militant protest at US Embassy
  • Advertisement
    Marketplace