Australian central bank computers hacked
SYDNEY— Computer networks at the Reserve Bank of Australia have been hacked, some reportedly by Chinese-developed malware searching for sensitive information, officials said Monday.
The central bank revealed the attacks after investigations by The Australian Financial Review found multiple computers had been compromised by malicious software seeking intelligence.
The newspaper said in one attack a Chinese-developed malware spy program was searching in 2011 for information on sensitive G20 negotiations, where Beijing’s exchange rate and currency reserves were on the agenda.
A Reserve Bank official confirmed the G20 virus to AFP and said it was confined to only “a few” computers. The official did not say what information was stolen, who was targeted, and would not confirm the Chinese connection.
A defense department official cited by the newspaper said “the targeting of high-profile events, such as the G20, by state-sponsored adversaries … is a real and persistent threat”.
He added: “Cyber intruders are looking for information on … the government’s intentions.”
In another sophisticated incident the month before, revealed on the central bank’s disclosure log under its freedom of information obligations, “targeted” emails were received regarding its strategic planning for 2012.
“Malicious email was highly targeted, utilising a possibly legitimate external account purporting to be a senior bank staff member,” an official report by the bank’s risk management unit said.
“As the email had no attachment, it bypassed existing security controls, allowing users to potentially access the malicious payload via the Internet browsing infrastructure.”
Six users clicked on the mail.
“Bank assets could have been potentially compromised, leading to service information loss and reputation (damage),” the official report said.
In 2011, the computers of Australia’s prime minister plus foreign and defence ministers were all suspected of being hacked. Reports and security experts said the attacks originated in China.
Beijing dismissed the allegations as “groundless and made out of ulterior purposes”.
Last year, Chinese telecoms giant Huawei was barred from bidding for contracts on Australia’s ambitious Aus$36 billion (US$37 billion) broadband rollout due to fears of cyberattacks.
Recent Stories:Three Chinese ships in disputed waters – Japan 6 mins elapsed China premier warns EU over solar, telecom probes 13 mins elapsed Death toll in Indian Maoist attack rises to 23 2 hours elapsed Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title 2 hours elapsed Fragments of biblical treasure are up for sale 3 hours elapsed What’s cookin’ with AHA: Peppermint and Mango Iced Tea 3 hours elapsed TV channels balk at ‘paying for censorship’ in Vietnam 3 hours elapsed 14 killed in military, Abu Sayyaf clash in Sulu 3 hours elapsed