NKorea denies cyberattack on SKorean companies


10:39 AM April 13th, 2013

April 13th, 2013 10:39 AM

In this photo released by Korean Broadcasting System, KBS employees try to recover a computer server a day after a cyberattack caused computer networks at the company to crash, in Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, March 21, 2013. Investigators have traced a coordinated cyberattack that paralyzed tens of thousands of computers at six South Korean banks and media companies to a Chinese Internet Protocol address, but it was not yet clear who orchestrated the attack, authorities in Seoul said Thursday. The discovery did not erase suspicions that North Korea was to blame. IP addresses are unique to each computer connected to the Internet, but they can easily be manipulated by hackers operating Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.anywhere in the world. AP

PYONGYANG, North Korea — North Korea has denied involvement in a cyberattack that shut down nearly 50,000 computers and servers at South Korean broadcasters and banks last month.

The General Staff of the Korean People’s Army issued the denial Saturday through the official Korean Central News Agency. Seoul on Thursday said Pyongyang was responsible for the March 20 computer crash.

The denial comes as tension remains high on the Korean Peninsula. U.S. and South Korean officials say North Korea appears to be preparing to test-launch a mid-range missile that could fly as far as Guam.

The North has released a chain of warlike threats since Seoul and Washington began joint military drills last month. Pyongyang is also angry over new U.N. sanctions punishing it for its Feb. 12 nuclear test.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.