Japan court tells Google to stop autocomplete words
TOKYO – A court in Japan has told Google it must de-link words in its autocomplete function to prevent the search engine suggesting criminal acts when users type one man’s name.
The Monday ruling by Tokyo District Court was the first time a court in Japan has ordered the search giant to alter this aspect of its algorithm, said Hiroyuki Tomita, a lawyer representing the plaintiff.
The court also ordered the US-based company to pay 300,000 yen ($3,100) for the mental anguish experienced by the man, whose identity has been withheld.
The plaintiff claimed that when users begin typing his name, the search engine automatically suggests what they might be looking for.
Clicking through these results takes users to websites that defame the unidentified man, his case said.
Because Google’s search functions are not based in Japan, the Japanese court cannot compel it to make the change. Google told local media it was studying the ruling.
Last year, the same court approved a petition by the same man to have his name delinked from autocomplete suggestions, and issued a temporary injunction, which Google did not follow.
This week’s ruling is permanent — although it can be appealed — and is attached to a defamation case that attracts damages.
Recent Stories:Solicitor General to argue for DAP before SC on Tuesday 6 mins elapsed 53 heads of state and government to attend Mandela funeral 12 mins elapsed Ronaldo caught up on beauty sleep during World Cup draw 33 mins elapsed Thai crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament 49 mins elapsed Gov’t, MILF agree on power-sharing, go closer to comprehensive peace pact 1 hour elapsed Fake SAROs had bogus beneficiaries, says DA assistant’s affidavit 1 hour elapsed Rizal lawmaker asked by COA to explain pork fund use 2 hours elapsed One month after Yolanda, PH faces huge challenges 2 hours elapsed