Quantcast

Copy of Schindler’s list fails to find eBay buyer



A sign is posted in front of eBay headquarters on July 20, 2011 in San Jose, California. AFP FILE PHOTO

LOS ANGELES – An original copy of the list of Jews saved by Oskar Schindler from the Holocaust has gone unsold on eBay, but the auctioneer said Monday he’s not disappointed.

The 14-page typewritten list — bearing the names of 801 men — originated with the German industrialist’s right-hand man Itzhak Stern and had a steep opening bid of $3 million.

But by the end of the online auction Sunday at 6:00 pm Los Angeles time (Monday 0100 GMT), not one bid had been placed — although there was no lack of interest.

“Over half a million people viewed the auction on eBay and we had more than 13,000 ‘watchers’ (individuals monitoring a potential sale), which is exceptionally high,” auctioneer Eric Gazin told AFP by email.

Without giving details, Gazin said “active discussions” now are under way with “multiple parties” who are still interested in acquiring the one-of-a-kind document.

In the meantime, he added, “there are no plans to relist the list or lower the price.”

The list is one of four known to exist, and the only one in private hands. The others are in museums in Israel and the United States.

It once belonged to a nephew of Stern in Israel who sold it about three years ago to the current owner, who acquired it as an investment, Gazin’s partner Gary Zimet, of momentsintime.com, told AFP.

Schindler is credited with saving the lives of some 1,200 Jews employed in his factories during World War II. He died in anonymity in Germany in 1974 at the age of 66.

His story was the focal point of director Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-winning film “Schindler’s List” in 1993.








Recent Stories:

Duterte wants Davao City hospitals ready to deal with Ebola threat by Nov. 15 9 mins elapsed Meralco outlasts Barako Bull in double OT 16 mins elapsed Wife of CamNorte governor says he wants to kill her 29 mins elapsed Amateur radio groups eyed in anti-crime drive 30 mins elapsed Aquino: PH economy can lose up to P23.3B in daily, 5-hour brownouts for 3 months 47 mins elapsed BIR fights for lifting of TRO on alpha list 49 mins elapsed Pyongyang races to complete new airport in hopes of attracting tourists 1 hour elapsed Aquino calls for re-bidding of Calax project; Ayala-Aboitiz won’t join process 1 hour elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.




  • opinyonlangpo

    Humanitarian effort becoming a profitable investment. Schindler surely won’t agree with that.

  • Steve

    This is shameful, this should not even have any type of price, nothing from ww2 should be worth anything, only thing it should be is a reminder of how terrible people can really be in this world.

    • blue_lights

      It is now a reminder of how people will try to turn a profit from the kindness of their forebears.

  • indiosbravos2002

    This should belong in a museum as part of history. Placing a dollar amount on it is a disgrace.

    • WeAry_Bat

      Nobody could bid on something which saved lives.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace