Quantcast

Submerged cellphone can still yield video



A relative of a passenger aboard the sunken ferry Sewol in the water off the southern coast weeps as he waits news on his missing loved one at a port in Jindo, South Korea, on April 25, 2014. A cellphone recovered from one of the victims has yielded video shot aboard the vessel, raising questions about how such images could still be found on an electronic device after being submerged. AP PHOTO/AHN YOUNG-JOON

A cellphone recovered from one of the victims of the ferry that sank off South Korea last month has yielded video shot aboard the vessel, raising questions about how such images could still be found on an electronic device after being submerged.

It’ s possible the video was stored on a micro SD card that many phones use for additional storage, said Ritch Blasi, senior vice president for mobile and wireless at the consulting firm Comunicano.

Since an SD card doesn’t contain electrical components or moving parts, it can be removed from a mobile device and the information stored on it can be retrieved—even if the phone that housed it is damaged.

In fact, SanDisk, a major maker of micro SD cards, touts that many of its cards are tested to withstand up to 72 hours in one meter of salt or fresh water.

In addition, phones can be programmed to automatically upload material such as photos and videos periodically to cloud storage, where other people can retrieve them later, Blasi said.

RELATED STORIES

S. Korea prosecutors turn to mobile app for ferry probe

 

More bodies from ship; transcript reveals wavering









Recent Stories:

Super Junior return as ‘real men’ 3 mins elapsed Dethroned Myanmar beauty queen blasts pageant boss 12 mins elapsed Japanese researchers develop 30-minute Ebola test 28 mins elapsed Sharks off the menu and on the tourist trail in Palau 57 mins elapsed House junks impeach raps vs Aquino 1 hour elapsed During Aquino impeach raps hearing, Aquino ally called ‘balimbing’ 1 hour elapsed Football fan fined after ‘bending it like Beckham’ 1 hour elapsed Pacquiao-Mayweather fight likely to happen in 2015, says Arum 2 hours elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace