Saturday, July 21, 2018
Close  
  • share this

‘Sleeping’ Vietnamese girl dies after getting electrocuted by iPhone cable

/ 01:49 PM November 16, 2017

INQUIRER.net Stock Photo

Most of us probably have dozed off while charging our mobile phones at night. But the seemingly harmless deed cost one Vietnamese teen her life.

According to The Sun, 14-year-old schoolgirl Le Thi Xoan died in her sleep after being electrocuted by a faulty iPhone charging cable.

Investigators at the scene speculated that the victim plugged her iPhone 6 and lay on her bed—as she did so every night—alongside it.

ADVERTISEMENT

They also discovered a burnt white cable with a slight tear in the rubber casing, which left several live wires exposed.

The cable also had visible tears on it, which may have electrocuted her with the current, the report said.

A see-through tape was also wrapped around the wire’s faulty area, which suggests that Xoan was aware of the tear, but opted to continue using it.

Meanwhile, police also noticed that the cable also appeared shorter than the Apple’s original 0.5-meter (20-inch) charging device.

Officials were checking if it was indeed an original Apple wire or a third-party device.  Khristian Ibarrola /ra

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Electrocution, faulty cable, iPhone 6, Le Thi Xoan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.