Facts and figures about Facebook
SAN FRANCISCO—Facts and figures about Facebook, which said it now has over one billion users worldwide:
- Facebook has more than one billion active users. If the company were a country, it would be the third largest in the world after China (population: 1.34 billion) and India (population: 1.17 billion). Some 600 million people use Facebook on mobile devices.
- With 166 million members, the United States has the most Facebook users. Brazil is second place with 58 million, followed by India with 55 million, Indonesia with 47 million and Mexico with 38 million. (source: socialbakers.com)
- In its first results since going public, Facebook reported a loss of $157 million, largely because of accounting rules requiring it to set aside reserves for stock compensation. Excluding that, the results were largely in line with estimates, with a profit from operations of $515 million on $1.18 billion in revenues.
- Since Facebook launched, its users have produced over 1.13 trillion “likes,” a feature begun in February 2009. It has also seen 140.3 billion “friend” connections, 219 billion photos uploaded and 17 billion location-tagged posts. Facebook said its users have played 62.6 million songs from its music apps 22 billion times.
- The median age of the Facebook user is 22. In 2006 the median was 19 years old, and 26 in 2008.
- Facebook has minted four billionaires: Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, Eduardo Saverin and Sean Parker. But according to Forbes magazine, the drop in Facebook’s share price has meant Zuckerberg lost $8.1 billion and has dropped to 36th place on its ranking with a net worth of $9.4 billion.
- Chris Hughes, one of Facebook’s four co-founders, served as director of online organizing for Barack Obama’s successful 2008 presidential campaign.
- “The Social Network,” the 2010 film about the origins of Facebook, won four Golden Globes — including for best picture and best director — but flopped at the Oscars, walking away only with awards for best adapted screenplay, original score and film editing.
- Facebook had 3,976 employees as of June 30, and has announced plans to hire “thousands” more. Some studies suggest that Facebook-related firms and apps have created many more jobs and economic value.
Recent Stories:Almazan’s transformation, Nambatac’s play key for Letran 31 mins elapsed ‘Motel skipper’ finally caught in Makati; wants to settle estafa cases 1 hour elapsed Hermes accuses LVMH of historic fraud—report 2 hours elapsed French floods claim first victim, Lourdes remains closed 2 hours elapsed CBCP lauds probe on OFWs’ sexual abuse, says problem not only in Mideast 2 hours elapsed Prayers to drive out ghost at Bangladesh garment plant 2 hours elapsed 22 dead in monsoon floods in Nepal 2 hours elapsed Paras, Magsanoc lead nominees to 2013 PBA Hall of Fame 2 hours elapsed