Quantcast

New iPhone app in US targets child predators



WASHINGTON – The US Department of Homeland Security enlisted smartphone users in its fight against child pornography Thursday with an iPhone app intended to make it easier to report suspected child predators.

The “Operation Predator” app lets informants submit information via email or a telephone tip line, and also includes a run-down of the nation’s most-wanted alleged child sex offenders.

It is free to download via iTunes, albeit with a warning that it is not for persons under the age of 17, presumably the group most vulnerable to child sex crimes.

“When children are being sexually abused and exploited, it’s a race against the clock to rescue the child and bring the predator to justice,” said John Sandweg, acting director of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the Homeland Security unit behind the app.

“These investigations are one of our highest priorities and, in today’s world, we need to be technologically savvy and innovative in our approach,” he said.

Topping the app’s list of nine fugitive suspects was one “John Doe,” an unnamed white male aged 45 to 55, “wanted for production of child pornography,” who could be living “anywhere in the world.”

ICE said the unidentified man appears in glasses and a beard in video files seen by ICE agents in Los Angeles earlier this year sexually abusing a girl aged between 10 and 12 in a wood-panelled room.

Other suspects – all wanted for making, distributing or owning child pornography – include a 35-year-old Indian national who allegedly helped run an Internet bulletin board for child-porn purveyors.

ICE said its app would be available for non-Apple devices “in the near future.”

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) offers a Child ID app for iPhone and Android devices that enables parents to report missing youngsters.

There is no official app with the FBI’s well-known lists of most-wanted criminals and terrorists, but private app developers have come out with their own versions, including one that also includes a catalog of missing children.









Recent Stories:

China’s nine-dash line came ahead of Unclos, says expert 1 hour elapsed PGH asks court for 2 more weeks to conduct Enrile check-up 1 hour elapsed DOTC: Repair of NAIA comfort rooms, air conditioners on full swing 2 hours elapsed Napoles lawyer on NGO ‘offices’: What’s wrong with houses, garages? 2 hours elapsed Breakaway Moro group admits alliance with ISIS 2 hours elapsed UP profs, students: Don’t remove Filipino from college curriculum 2 hours elapsed Enrile endorsed P345M of ‘pork funds’ to bogus NGOs–COA 2 hours elapsed Napoles didn’t receive notice of refund from COA 2 hours elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.



Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace