Quantcast
Latest Stories

SpaceX ushers new era for private space flights



WASHINGTON—SpaceX on Friday became the first commercial outfit to send its own cargo capsule to the International Space Station (ISS), heralding the start of a new era for private space flight.

The berthing marked the climax of the California-based company’s demonstration mission to become the first to restore US access to the space outpost after National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) retired the three-decade shuttle program last year.

With no humans on board, the Dragon capsule is delivering about a half ton of supplies and science experiments for the ISS, and aims to return a slightly larger load of gear to Earth on May 31.

“There was so much that could have gone wrong, and it went right,” SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk, a billionaire Internet entrepreneur, told reporters after the berthing was complete.

“This is really going to be recognized as a significantly historical step forward in space travel, and hopefully the first of many to come.”

The Dragon is toting 521 kilograms (1,148 pounds) of goodies for the space lab, including food, supplies, computers, utilities and science experiments. It plans to return a 660-kilogram load to Earth.

The hatches are set to open at 7:40 a.m. (1140 GMT) on Saturday so that the unloading can begin, Nasa said.

“It looks like we got us a Dragon by the tail,” said US astronaut Don Pettit, who was operating the Canadian-built robotic arm from the space station as it reached out and captured the unmanned SpaceX capsule at 9:56 a.m. (1356 GMT).

The capsule was installed on the station’s Harmony module by European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers at 11:52 a.m. (1552 GMT), and the berthing was complete when Nasa astronaut Joe Acaba bolted the Dragon on at 12:02 p.m. (1602 GMT), Nasa said.

Historic moment

“I can’t tell you how proud we are to have been a part of this historic moment,” said ISS program manager Mike Suffredini, adding that the spacecraft had “performed nearly flawlessly” since its launch on Tuesday from Cape Canaveral, Florida.

John Holdren, assistant to President Barack Obama for science and technology policy, hailed the mission as “an achievement of historic scientific and technological significance and a key milestone in President Obama’s vision for America’s continued leadership in space.”

The US space shuttle program ended in 2011, leaving only Russia capable of carrying astronauts and cargo to the ISS and back to Earth.

The space agencies of Japan and Europe have supply ships that can ferry cargo to the ISS but cannot return to Earth intact, and those missions are set to end in the coming years, Suffredini said.

That means SpaceX and its competitor Orbital Sciences Corp. would become the chief cargo servicers of the $100-billion space station, which is set to remain operational until 2020.

“Between those two spacecraft, they will supply the lion’s share of the cargo to the International Space Station for the life of the station,” Suffredini said.

12 missions

The berthing mission opens the way for SpaceX’s $1.6-billion contract with Nasa to supply the space station and return cargo to Earth in 12 missions over the coming years.

Suffredini said the next cargo supply mission by SpaceX is tentatively set for September.

Orbital Sciences also has a $1.9-billion contract with Nasa to supply the space station and is scheduled for its first test flight in August, followed by a demonstration mission to the ISS in December, Suffredini said.

SpaceX hopes its gumdrop-shaped Dragon capsule will be able to carry astronauts to the ISS in about three years’ time. Until then, US astronauts must pay Russia about $63 million per seat aboard the Soyuz.

SpaceX and a handful of other companies are using their own funds but are also being helped in their endeavors with seed money from Nasa to build cargo and crew capability.

SpaceX is the brainchild of Musk, a 40-year-old billionaire who made his fortune founding a company that later merged with the PayPal online service, bought by Internet auction giant eBay for $1.5 billion in 2002.

Today he leads SpaceX, Tesla Motors—a venture marketing electric cars—and SolarCity, a company that makes solar panels for homes and businesses.

Musk said alcohol had been prohibited from the Hawthorne, California headquarters—where the average age of SpaceX employees is 30—until the berthing mission was complete.

“But now that things are good I think we will probably have a bit of champagne and have some fun, yeah,” he said to hoots and hollers from employees gathered around.

“It is best to be very sober in these circumstances until the deed is done.”


Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter




Recent Stories:

Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend 31 mins elapsed Napoles’ surgery successful—doctor 32 mins elapsed Santiago wants Senate to recall Napoles 45 mins elapsed Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate 1 hour elapsed Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix climbs 1 hour elapsed Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack 1 hour elapsed [VIDEO] NASA chief outlines plan for human mission to Mars 2 hours elapsed [VIDEO] Vatican readies for Sunday’s double canonisation 2 hours elapsed
Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Elon Musk , International Space Station , NASA , National Aeronautics and Space Administration , Space exploration , space flights , SpaceX



Copyright © 2014,
.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement Advertisement

News

  • Anti-Obama protesters clash with police in Manila
  • Napoles’ surgery successful—doctor
  • Santiago wants Senate to recall Napoles
  • Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix climbs
  • [VIDEO] NASA chief outlines plan for human mission to Mars
  • Sports

  • Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series
  • David Moyes out as Manchester United manager
  • Nadal to face fellow Spaniard at Barcelona Open
  • Defensive Chelsea holds Atletico in scoreless draw
  • Popovich wins NBA coach of the year
  • Lifestyle

  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Sweet party for Andi Manzano
  • Safety in online buying and selling
  • Entertainment

  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Summer movie preview: Bay reboots ‘Transformers’
  • Business

  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • $103M Vista Land bonds tendered for redemption
  • Oil slips to $102 as US crude supplies seen rising
  • SC stops Meralco power rate hike anew
  • Technology

  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Brazil passes trailblazing Internet privacy law
  • New York police Twitter campaign backfires badly
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  • China, rivals sign pact to ease maritime tensions
  • Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate
  • Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
  • Violence mars militant protest at US Embassy
  • Advertisement
    Marketplace