Samsung managers probed over fatal chemical leak
More News from Agence France-Presse
SEOUL — South Korean police said Tuesday they were investigating three Samsung managers for possible negligent homicide after a deadly toxic chemical leak at a chipmaking plant last month.
One repair worker died after trying to stop the leak of diluted hydrofluoric acid at the Samsung Electronics’ plant in the city of Hwaseong, 43 kilometers (26 miles) southwest of central Seoul, on January 27.
Four other workers were treated in hospital but later released.
A post-mortem showed the worker had died of exposure to gas given off by the leak, which can damage lungs and bones and affect the nervous system.
Police said the leak was due to deterioration of rubber seals on the gas container valves and corroded bolts, and the three managers could face charges of negligent homicide.
“Investigations are still underway on how much gas was released … and its impact on the environment,” the provincial police agency said in a statement.
Samsung is the world’s top maker of smartphones, memory chips and flat-panel TVs.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94