Best Tablets for Kids
As the festive season draws closer, you have a limited time to get your younger kids the best Christmas gifts at affordable prices on Cyber Mondays and Black Fridays. Kiddies tablet is a perfect gift for children above the age of 3 years, and it keeps them busy while working on a project or preparing their meal in the kitchen.
Sometimes, kids get tired of playing with the same non-interactive toys repeatedly. A bored kid is mommy’s or daddy’s worst nightmare. When your kid gets tired of playing a particular game, you only need to download another one online.
Simple as ABC! Your kid can access diverse, interesting games, books, audiobooks, or TV shows via the tablet. Later in this guide, we will discuss the essential benefits of buying tablets for kids, the features to look out for when buying a tablet for kids, and a list of the best tablets for kids.
What are the best tablets for kids on Amazon?
Not all top-notch tablets are good for kids. Some tablets/iPads will outperform the tablets listed in this guide, but the goal is to recommend the best tablets for kids (not necessarily the best tablets in the tech market).
- Amazon Fire 7 Kids Tablet
- Contixo Kids Tablet
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet
- Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet
- UJoyFeel tablet
1. Amazon Fire 7 Kids Tablet
The Amazon Fire 7 Kids Tablet is among the best tablets for kids over three years old. The tablet comes with a blue, pink, or purple protective cover that prevents the tablet from getting spoilt when dropped by users.
If the tablet screen breaks, it can be repaired for free according to the two-year guarantee of the Fire 7 Kids tablet. On purchase, the user can access a free 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids, which provides children with 20,000+ audiobooks. Games, books, apps, and edutaining content from your kid’s favorite channels such as Kids, PBS, and Disney.
- Control your child’s screen time and determine the type of content your child can access.
- Download files and movies of up to 16 GB, but you can get an SD card of at most 512 GB space.
- Visually-impaired kids can use the VoiceView screen reader to use a tablet and enjoy its edutaining content.
- Its battery can last for 7 hours, enabling you to work for long hours without disturbing your kids.
- Kids are protected from social media, enabling them to focus on things that truly matter.
- Parents can opt to leave Amazon Kids mode using their password.
- Lacks HD visual quality, unlike other Amazon Fire versions like Fire HD & Kids or Fire HD 10 Kids.
- It has a smaller display size compared to the versions mentioned above.
- It lacks a USB-C port which enables fast charging.
2. Contixo Kids Tablet
The Contixo Tablet For Kids is recommended for parents who want their children to focus strictly on educational materials. The learning tablet comes with apps that teachers have approved.
- They are designed with an in-built kickstand that makes a hands-free learning experience possible and convenient.
- Be 100% involved in your kid’s screen time and content consumption.
- Its handle makes it easy for children above six to hold and handle the tablet.
- Access free creativity tools that are worth more than $150.
- Don’t bother recharging for the next 8 hours as its battery lasts 10 hours.
- Store as many educational videos and files as you want using the 32 GB SD card (which can be expanded to 128 GB).
- It has a pretty large screen (10 inches).
- Enhance your child’s learning skills using the Contixo learning academy.
- Its Android OS is not the latest. It currently uses Android 10 OS.
3. Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet
The Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet For Kids is an enhanced version of the Fire 7 version. Unlike the Fire 7 tablet, the Fire 8 has a USB-C charging port. It makes charging faster alongside a 5W power adapter. Moreover, it has a free one-year to Amazon Kid and a two-year warranty.
- Get HD quality display.
- Visually-impaired kids can use the tab with a VoiceView screen reader.
- The Amazon Fire HD 8 CPU is 30 percent faster than the Fire 7 tablet.
- It has a free 32 GB SD card but can be expanded to 1 TB.
- Unlike other tablets that go off before you return from work, the Amazon Fire 8 tablet can last 12 hours. Also, the Amazon Fire HD 8 is one of the rare tablets for kids to provide such high battery power.
- Users complained that unfiltered news is being shown to kids.
- Pinning favorite apps is not attainable with this version.
4. Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet
The Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids tablet is way better than previous versions. The tablet processor is super fast. Its protective cover comes in three colors: aquamarine, lavender, and sky blue.
- They are designed with two internal microphones.
- Brightly colored
- Zoom to get a better view with the aid of a screen magnifier.
- Visually-impaired kids can learn using the text-to-speech feature programmed with the tablet.
- Use for 12 hours without charging.
- Fast charging is enabled by USB-C technology.
- Have total control over what your kid watches and how long they stay on the tablet.
- Unable to control the amount of space a child uses periodically.
5. UJoyFeel Kids Tablet
Learning and having fun should not be mutually exclusive. Fortunately, the UJoyFeel Tablet For Kids bridges the gap between entertainment and education.
The kiddies tablet caters to kids’ learning needs above three. The best tablets for kids must emphasize adopting new and harmless educational apps for children to install, and the UJoyFeel kid’s tablet does just that.
- The parental controls are quite flexible, giving you enough options to create a safe learning experience for your kid.
- Access over 20,000 audiobooks, books, movies, applications, games, and TV shows on your favorite kid channels.
- The case has a handle, making it easier for kids to move it around.
- Its Type-C port makes charging faster.
- The brightness is programmed to protect the sight of children.
- Unable to control the amount of space a child uses periodically.
Why do kids need a tablet?
Earlier in the guide, We mentioned some benefits of getting tablets for kids. According to the Colorado Department of Education, the initial five years of a child’s life will determine their biological, mental, and psychological development.
The life skills your kid acquires as they approach puberty will go a long way in shaping their entire life. Hence you have to be involved in their development stage.
Many kids’ tablets provide parental controls. Parental controls are the functionalities offered by a TV service, tablets, computers, video games, or apps that allow parents to regulate the content consumed by their children.
It has fun features.
When you purchase tablets for older kids, consider that you are already paying for a computer, video games set up, eLibrary, and TV all in one transaction.
The tablet performs multiple functions, including educational and entertainment purposes. Your child can access informational games, read books, see movies, world-class information, and online tutorials via a tablet.
It connects to Wi-Fi but prevents your child from seeing inappropriate content. Also, you can ensure your kid has fun by monitoring him with the tablet.
It helps your kids adapt to technology.
Recently, Mark Zuckerberg announced his new venture, the Metaverse. It aims to digitize further the way humans interact. We are moving into an age where it is detrimental not to be tech-savvy.
By introducing your kids to tech early, they will prepare for the challenges of the digital world we currently live in. Also, The tablet is quite mobile, unlike the computer.
Carrying a desktop, video game console, or laptop is uncomfortable when going on a family trip. Consequently, your kids can practice using their tablets anytime and anywhere.
Always in touch
Children go through a learning process before operating a tablet the same way they crawl before walking. Teaching your child how to operate a tablet would help you bond more with the child. Playing mobile games with your kids will improve your relationship with them.
When your kids go on a camp outreach while you’re on a work trip, it’s easy to stay connected through a tablet. You can always check on them via video call apps like Skype, Whatsapp, Google Duo, or Facebook Manager. Also, you can still monitor and regulate their tablet usage from anywhere.
Tips and reminders when buying tablets for kids
You must understand the below criteria to determine the best tablets for kids at the electronic store. The best tablets for kids have a battery lifespan of 7 hours to 12 hours. The higher the battery lifespan, the costlier the tablet.
The essence of opting for a kiddies tablet instead of a regular one is that the former allows you to regulate what your child sees and set a screen time limit. Also, most kiddies’ tablets don’t have social media access.
Never neglect the parental controls feature when finding the best tablets for kids. Also, you need a tablet with expandable memory. Kids like to try many things out and often get bored easily.
You may also like: Connect With Your Troubled Kid With Amazon Music
It is natural for children to want to download many apps, especially when they are already familiar with the tablet. As a result of excess app downloads, the tablet memory can get used up and ultimately slow down the gadget.
Ensure the memory capacity is expandable and make inquiries about the memory limit. Some tablets cannot work with an SD card with more than 1 TB of space.
However, you don’t want to give your child a phone with social media on it. Social media exposes people to the ills of society. It is not safe for kids.
When shopping for the best tablets for kids, ensure you put their safety first. You can also contact your child’s teachers for the most suitable educational apps.
Educators can give tips on how to promote internet safety for your kid. Also, you may ask them to notify you if your children might be reacting negatively to gadget use.
Ensure your kid doesn’t spend too much time on devices. Your child should experience the real world so they grow into proper adults. Follow Inquirer Tech for more handy digital tips.
Frequently asked questions about the best tablets for kids
What ages are suitable for tablets?
Jeannie Galindo, supervisor of instructional technology for the Manatee County School District in Florida, recommends giving tablets to kids 11 and above. “In an unsupervised environment, I wouldn’t recommend a smartphone or tablet purchase for a child until at least between the ages of 11 and 13,” Galindo said during a PBS interview.
Are there educational tablets for kids?
You can find numerous kid-friendly tablets that offer educational content and features. These include the LeapFrog Epic and Amazon’s Fire HD 8, which contain child-friendly apps, games, and e-reader stories. Also, they can connect to your Wi-Fi while keeping your children safe from explicit content.
Can I limit the screen time on these tablets?
Most kid-friendly tablets offer parental controls to limit screen time. You may toggle them on the smart device or remotely from your phone or tablet. Moreover, you can set time restrictions, control access to specific apps or content, and even monitor your child’s activities remotely. Check the specifications or manufacturer’s website for the available parental control features.