Close  

Samsung changes Note 7 output schedule after fire reports

/ 03:54 PM October 10, 2016
South Korean high school students try out Samsung Electronics Galaxy Note 7 smartphones at the company's shop in Seoul in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, Oct. 10, 2016. Samsung Electronics has temporarily halted production of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Monday, following reports that replacements for the fire-prone phones were also overheating. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

South Korean high school students try out Samsung Electronics Galaxy Note 7 smartphones at the company’s shop in Seoul in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, Oct. 10, 2016. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

SEOUL, South Korea — Samsung’s crisis with its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone hit a new low on Monday as the company confirmed that it has made changes to its production of the problem phones to ensure safety.

The move follows multiple reports that even the newly released Galaxy Note 7 phones, which had been offered as replacements for the recalled fire-prone phones, also overheated or caught fire.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement and in a regulatory filing, Samsung Electronics said it is “temporarily” adjusting the Galaxy Note 7 production schedule and production volume to “ensure quality and safety matters.” The company added that it will issue an update when more details are available.

But Samsung fell short of confirming or denying earlier media reports that it had halted production.

FEATURED STORIES

Earlier in the day, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency was first to report that Note 7 production was suspended.

The move came after decisions by U.S. phone retailers AT&T and T-Mobile to stop giving new Note 7 replacement smartphones to consumers.

Samsung and the U.S. authorities are investigating reports of the new Note 7 replacement smartphone catching fire but the move poses fresh trouble for Samsung because it had promised that its new Note 7 with a green battery icon is safe.

The reports of replacement phones catching fire raise doubts whether the battery is the only problem in the fire-prone smartphone as Samsung initially said. When it issued a global recall on Sept. 2, Samsung blamed the batteries supplied by one of its two battery suppliers and assured consumers that other parts of the smartphones were fine.

RELATED STORIES

Samsung tells Korean customers to stop using Galaxy Note 7

Samsung recalls Galaxy Note 7 after battery explosions

ADVERTISEMENT

TOPICS: explosion, fire, Galaxy Note 7, Note 7, production, Safety, Samsung, Smartphone
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Marco Gallo not out to become ‘the next James Reid’

December 16, 2019 12:02 AM

lifestyle

French New Wave icon Anna Karina dies at 79

December 15, 2019 10:42 PM

sports

Pogoy plays through pain, helps TNT get crucial win

December 15, 2019 10:06 PM

newsinfo

New Zealand eruption death toll rises to 18

December 15, 2019 09:33 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.