Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Microsoft halts distribution of Windows 7 Pro and 8.1

/ 11:35 PM November 02, 2016
Windows 7 End of sales

Despite its popularity, Windows 7 will no longer be distributed to PC makers. Say hello to the forced age of Windows 10, folks. Image INQUIRER.net Stock Photo

Microsoft is going full steam with Windows 10 and to prove it, the company has just ended the distribution of Windows 7 and 8.1 licenses to computer manufacturers.

As of Oct. 31, Redmond, Wash. stopped selling Windows 7 Professional and versions of Windows 8.1 OEMs, reports PCWorld.

ADVERTISEMENT

The end-of-sales for Windows 7 was initially planned for Oct. 31, 2014, but was pushed back two years despite Windows 8 being already in the market. Microsoft only called for an end to consumer systems with the cut-off for Windows 7 Professional left open.  The company stated that they would issue a warning one year before end-of-sales which was issued a year ago.

Organizations that have enterprise licensing agreements and Software Assurance may downgrade the OS from a newly purchased PC from Windows 10 to Windows 7 to continue using the older edition.

FEATURED STORIES

OEMs will also be allowed to use whatever licenses they have in stock.

Despite the popularity of the operating system, Microsoft has deemed that it is time for Windows 7 to make way for Windows 10. Analytics from Net Applications showed that Windows 7 powered 48% of personal computers in October. The remaining 52% was divided among Windows 10, versions of Windows 8, and other operating systems.

Support for Windows 7 will continue until 2020, however. With Microsoft’s aggressive push for Windows 10, users may find that more and more software, games in particular, will start having Windows 10 as a perrequisite.  Alfred Bayle

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: end-of-sales, Microsoft, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
lifestyle

‘Combatron’: The long-awaited finale

September 18, 2018 10:28 PM

sports

Ben Mbala ‘happy’ for former mentor Aldin Ayo

September 18, 2018 10:24 PM

entertainment

How to get tickets to next year’s Glastonbury Festival

September 18, 2018 10:15 PM

technology

Nappy change: Dutch to turn diapers into furniture

September 18, 2018 10:13 PM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.