Aguirre orders boost in cyber security amid ransomware global carnage
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to step up the government’s cyber security measures amid the “WannaCry” ransomware attack that is spreading around the globe.
The attack that started Friday caused chaos in businesses, governments and individuals in over 70 countries.
The Wannacrypt ransomware demands $300 or the user’s files will be permanently deleted. It threatens the users to raise the ransom after a specific countdown.
So far, the Justice secretary said there were no reports of a ‘WannaCry’ attacks in the Philippines.
“Let us do what we can to monitor and step up our cyber security measures to prevent or at least minimize the adverse effects of the ‘ransomware’ attacks on our system,” Aguirre said Sunday.
“I gave the same instruction to the Cybercrime Division of the DOJ (Department of Justice),” Aguirre added. CBB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.