Telcos comply with Palace order to shut off signals in area of Nazerene procession
MANILA, Philippines – Local telecom firms have complied with a government order to disrupt cell phone signals in certain parts of the city of Manila during the procession of the Black Nazarene Monday for security reasons.
The move comes amid a Malacañang advisory warning of a possible terror threat in the country’s capital, where an estimated eight million devotees were expected to converge to celebrate the religious festival in Quiapo.
“We have been briefed by the government regarding the security situation with respect to the Black Nazarene procession,” mobile network leader Smart Communications Inc. said.
“Based on that briefing, we are fully cooperating with government in order to address the situation and have agreed to take certain precautionary measures to enhance public safety in and around the procession areas,” the company said.
In a separate advisory, Ayala-led Globe Telecom said it had complied with the government’s request in the interest of “national security.”
“Please be informed that mobile subscribers of all telcos in select areas of Manila will experience temporary loss of signal due to security measures being conducted by the government,” Globe said in a text message.
The company said several of its cell sites were shut off between 4 and 5 a.m. Monday morning, hours before the day-long procession started.
Earlier in the day, the Palace said it has asked telecommunications companies “to temporarily disconnect their services in the route of the procession in the route of the Black Nazarene.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.