Best Free Software Sites For Students
There are many ways to discover new websites and software to reduce the financial burden on students. Being a student entails putting a lot of time, hard work, and money into one’s schedule, and spending tremendous amounts of funds on software purchasing fees is not advised for students. Most sites that provide free software for students only require proof of identity and registration in the school or institution.
A barrage and variety of software can be gotten from these sites ranging from graphic design programs to word processors and software that can serve data analysis.
The downside of purchasing from free sites is the lack of website security, as the majority of these are hosts to numerous viruses and malware obtained through the download of these free software.
They can be spotted as an extra file that downloads concurrently with the original file that one decides to get. A good antivirus should be installed before the quest for a free application on the Internet to prevent this security breach.
Ways in Which Students Can Get Free Software
Provision of various free software for students by their institutions as part of their fees is mostly made at resource centers. Still, most students don’t even bother to check or look through and often miss this great opportunity to get software for free.
Many advanced software packages spanning different fields of study may be provided as part of one’s tuition fee, e.g., photo editing and video editing software like Photoshop and illustrator are given to students who apply for graphic design programs.
However, most college students want to get their hands on extra application packages to ease studying; and they would appreciate it if they could get this software completely free.
What Softwares Can Students Get for Free?
Below are the most appropriate websites that provide free software for students in their quest for programs to make schoolwork and studying a lot easier.
Best Free Antivirus
- Compatible with both apple, android, and Windows Software
- Works on both the entire computer system and browser scanning with a user interface that is easy to get around.
- Operations slow down while system scans are conducted
- The free version contains numerous ads
- Avast antivirus runs scans automatically on the system for malicious spyware, viruses, and malware that threaten the functioning of one’s computer. It also has an in-browser security system to guard against such activities. It is often advised to run scans during the nighttime as the work rate of your computer is greatly reduced during scans.
Great tool for Image Editing
- Free software with image editing tools.
- Plug-ins are available as a result of the large community of users.
- The application is quite complicated and not as easy to use.
- One needs to have a good knowledge of the appropriate sites to look for plug-ins.
- GIMP is free software for students that is a good alternative to its expensive software counterpart, Adobe Photoshop. GIMP products are available on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- It is also compatible with a host of other free software, Inkscape. The deterring factor to acquiring this software is the long learning curve. Proficient users of Photoshop still have to undergo some level of training to use the GIM software.
Most Compatible Image Editing Tool
- It is compatible with both PC and mobile phones and devices.
- Depending on one’s skill, there are two versions of the software; X and F.
- Numerous image editing tools can be used by basic learners or individuals who have taken advanced courses.
- Other premium software is a clear distinction from this free software
- Large files become problematic when worked on with a stable Internet.
- Pixlr is one of the best image editing applications to acquire. The memories taken during college are meant to stand the test of time, and the photos need an extra touch to amass all the social media views and likes they deserve. This free software provides dozens of image editing tools for students like filters, masks, and brushes. These tasks can also be performed automatically by editors who do not have an ought to experience.
- As a result of the difference in experience, Pixlr Editor ceased, and Pixlr X and Pixlr E were introduced for basic and advanced users, respectively.
Best Choice for Audio and Video Formatting
- Its usage is compatible with a very wide range of files
- Irrespective of the fact that it is a free program, it performs a wide range of actions.
- Users must undergo a very long course before mastering the art of using the software.
- It is not compatible and thus not supported by mac Operating System Catalina.
- This free software for students has a user interface that looks basic but contains a lot of free hidden tools. It takes a lot to master the various properties of this application but once mastered. It is the most appropriate choice for editing audio files as well as video files.
A Great Substitute for Microsoft Office
- Works with all Microsoft file types.
- Performs all the actions of the various Microsoft Office applications.
- There is a huge difference in the names of operations carried out compared to Microsoft Office, which may lead to confusion.
- Microsoft Office is the most popular word processing application suite known worldwide, but the cost of purchasing it becomes a huge problem. Other free word processors do not have a lot of features provided by Microsoft Office. LibreOffice is a free software for students that provides all properties of Microsoft Office, and grants access to six programs; Writer, Calc, Draw, Math, Base, and Impress, which are synonyms to Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, etc. in Microsoft Office.
Best free Word Processing Software
- Grants 1 TB storage capacity on the cloud
- Provides access to familiar tools
- Only a handful of universities are accredited and have access to use the free education version.
- Microsoft 365 offers a free version for students who cannot afford the full version, and this version is called Microsoft 365 Education. All that is needed to sign up is the student email address, and once this is done, access is granted to a full-featured version of the application.
Best Free 3D Graphic Design Application
- It contains a lot of professional features.
- Regular updates and bug fixes are carried out routinely.
- The mastery of the software entails a lot of time and classes, which means a lot for inexperienced users.
- Students who enroll in 3d model creation classes, graphic design classes, or game and application design would benefit greatly from Blender. It is a free software for students that provides numerous free editing tools. The programmers do well to constantly review the application and provide new improvements to serve the community. On mastery of this software, full sequence movies can be through animation with blender.
Best Free Online Storage Application
- It provides 2 GB of storage for free.
- Users who do not have a Dropbox account can have access to the files.
- The memory space is very little and gets full easily.
- This free software for students provides cloud storage of up to 2 GB, and this innovation helps reduce the stress of carrying an external hard drive or a flash drive. You only need an email address to sign up, and full access is given to enjoy the full features of this free software.
Most Adequate Website Blocking Application
- The program is not easily able to turn off.
- Users set timers and controls to suit their purposes
- If there is an emergency, you need to restart the computer.
- This software allows users to block certain websites from opening at times, and once active, it doesn’t cease operation except when you restart the PC. It reduces distractions from social media and helps students concentrate and remain focused, especially during study periods.
Best for Comfort
- Ensure adequate sleeping habits for students
- F.lux does not deactivate some image editing software
- This free software for students reduces the blue light to a calmer color and allows students to sleep easier. It doesn’t work with media players so as not to reduce the image quality of the movie.
We have compiled a list of the best free software for students to make studying easier and save money for other purposes. Students should visit these sites, make good use of these free software, and enjoy their full features and properties.
The latest tech news delivered to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.