Best Tablets for Kids
As the festive season draws closer, you have a limited time to get your younger kids the best Christmas gifts at affordable prices on Cyber Mondays and Black Fridays. Kiddies tablet is a perfect gift for children above the age of 3 years, and it keeps them busy while working on a project or preparing their meal in the kitchen.
Sometimes, kids get tired of playing with the same non-interactive toys over and over again. A bored kid is mommy’s or daddy’s worst nightmare. When your kid gets tired of playing a particular game, all you need to do is download another one online.
Simple as ABC! Your kid can access diverse, interesting games, books, audiobooks, or TV shows via the tablet.
Later in this guide, we will discuss the essential benefits of buying tablets for kids, the features to look out for when buying kiddies tablets, and a list of the best tablets for kids.
What are the best tablets for kids on Amazon?
Not all top-notch tablets are good for kids. Some tablets/iPads will outperform the tablets listed in this guide, but the goal is to recommend the best tablets for kids (not necessarily the best tablets in the tech market).
The fire seven kids tablet is one of the best tablets for kids above three years. The tablet comes with a blue, pink, or purple protective cover that prevents the tablet from getting spoilt when dropped by users. In a case where the tablet screen breaks, it can be repaired for free according to the two-year guarantee that comes with the Fire 7 Kids tablet.
On purchase, the user has access to a free 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids, which provides children with 20,000+ audiobooks. Games, books, apps, and edutaining content from your kid’s favorite channels such as Kids, PBS and Disney.
- Control your child’s screen time and determine the type of content your child can access.
- Download files and movies of up to 16 GB, but you can get an SD card of not more than 512 GB space.
- Visually-impaired kids can use the VoiceView screen reader to use a tablet and enjoy its edutaining content.
- Its battery can last for 7 hours, enabling you to work for long hours without disturbing your kids.
- Kids are protected from social media, enabling them to focus on things that truly matter.
- Parents can opt to leave Amazon Kids mode using their password.
- Lacks HD visual quality, unlike other fire versions like fire HD & kids or fire HD 10 kids.
- It has a smaller display size compared to the versions mentioned above.
- It lacks a USB-C port which enables fast charging.
Contixo kids tablet is recommended for parents who want their children to focus strictly on educational materials. The learning tablet comes with apps that teachers have approved.
- They are designed with an in-built kickstand that makes a hands-free learning experience possible and convenient.
- Be 100% involved in your kid’s screen time and content consumption.
- Its handle makes it easy for children above six to hold and handle the tablet.
- Access free creativity tools that are worth more than $150.
- Don’t bother about recharging for the next 8 hours as its battery can last for 10 hours.
- Store as many educational videos and files as you want using the 32 GB SD card (which can be expanded up to 128 GB).
- It has a pretty large screen (10 inches).
- Enhance your child’s learning skills using Contixo learning academy.
- It’s Android OS is not the latest OS. It currently uses Android 10 OS.
Fire HD 8 Kids tablet is an enhanced version of the Fire 7 version. Unlike the Fire 7 tablet, the Fire 8 tablet comes with a USB-C charging port that makes charging faster alongside a 5W power adapter.
It comes with a free one-year to Amazon Kid and a two-year warranty.
- Get HD quality display.
- Visually-impaired kids can use the tab with the aid of a VoiceView screen reader.
- The CPU is 30 percent faster than the Fire 7 tablet.
- It comes with a free 32 GB SD card, but it can be expanded to 1 TB.
- Unlike other tablets that would go off before you are back from work, the Fire 8 tablet can last for 12 hours. This is one of the rare tablets for kids to provide such high battery power.
- Users complained that unfiltered news is being shown to kids.
- Pinning favorite apps is not attainable with this version.
The Fire HD 10 Kids tablet is way better than previous versions. The tablet processor is super fast. Its protective cover comes in three different colors: aquamarine, lavender, and sky blue.
- They are designed with two internal microphones.
- Brightly colored
- Zoom to get a better view with the aid of a screen magnifier.
- Visually-impaired kids can learn using the text-to-speech feature programmed with the tablet.
- Use for 12 hours without charging.
- Fast-charging is enabled by USB-C technology.
- Have total control over what your kid watches and how long they stay on the tablet.
- Unable to control the amount of space a child uses periodically.
Learning and having fun should not be mutually exclusive, and the UJoyFeel kids’ tablet bridges the gap between entertainment and education. The kiddies tablet is designed to cater to kids’ learning needs above the age of three. The best tablets for kids must emphasize adopting new and harmless educational apps for children to install, and the UJoyFeel kid’s tablet does just that.
- The parental controls are quite flexible, giving you enough options to create a safe learning experience for your kid.
- Access more than 20,000 audiobooks, books, movies, applications, games, and TV shows on your favorite kid channels.
- The case has a handle which makes it easier for kids to move it around.
- Its Type-C port makes charging faster.
- The brightness is programmed to protect the sight of children.
- Unable to control the amount of space a child uses periodically.
Why do kids need a tablet?
We have mentioned some of the benefits of getting tablets for kids earlier in the guide. As we promised, the benefits of buying a tablet for your child are given below.
You are in control
According to the Colorado Department of Education, the initial five years of a child’s life will determine their biological, mental, and psychological development. The life skills your kid acquires as they approach puberty will go a long way in shaping their entire life. Hence you have to be involved in their development stage.
Many kids’ tablets provide parental controls. Parental controls are the functionalities offered by a TV service, tablets, computers, video games, or apps that allow parents to regulate the kind of content consumed by their children.
All in one
When you purchase tablets for older kids, consider that you are already paying for a computer, video games set up, eLibrary, and TV all in one transaction. The tablet performs multiple functions, including educational and entertainment purposes. Your child can have unlimited access to informational games, read books, see movies, world-class information, online tutorials via a tablet.
Recently, Mark Zuckerberg announced his new venture, the metaverse. It aims to digitize further the way humans interact. We are moving into an age where it is detrimental not to be tech-savvy. By introducing your kids to tech early, they will prepare for the challenges of the digital world we currently live in.
More Bonding Time
Children go through a learning process before operating a tablet the same way they crawl before walking. Teaching your child how to operate a tablet would help you bond more with the child. Playing mobile games with your kids will improve your relationship with them.
Easy to carry around
The tablet is quite mobile, unlike the computer. When going on a family trip, it’s uncomfortable to carry a desktop, video game console, or laptop. Hence the tablet is the best way of keeping children busy while you’re away from home.
Always in touch
When your kids go on a camp outreach, or you embark on a work trip, it’s easy to stay connected through a tablet. You can always check on them via video call apps like Skype, Whatsapp, Google duo, or Facebook manager as long as they are connected to the internet. You can still monitor and regulate their usage of the tablet from anywhere.
Tips and Reminders for Features to Look Out for When Buying Tablets for Kids
There is no way you can determine the best tablets for kids when you get to the electronic store without understanding the criteria discussed below. These are a few factors to check before purchasing a tablet for kids.
The best tablets for kids have a battery lifespan of 7 hours to 12 hours. The higher the battery lifespan, the costlier the tablet.
The essence of opting for a kiddies tablet instead of a regular tablet is that the former gives you the option to regulate what your child sees and set a screen time limit. Also, most kiddies’ tablets don’t have social media access. When finding the best tablets for kids, never neglect the parental controls feature.
Kids like to try many things out, and they often get bored easily. It is natural for children to want to download many apps, especially when they are already familiar with the tablet. As a result of excess app downloads, the tablet memory can get used up and ultimately slow down the gadget.
Ensure the memory capacity is expandable and make inquiries about the memory limit. Some tablets cannot work with an SD card with more than 1 TB space.
Social media access
You don’t want to give your child a phone with social media on it. Social media exposes people to the ills of society. It is not safe for kids.
When shopping for the best tablets for kids, ensure you put their safety first. You can also reach out to your kid’s teachers to inquire about the most suitable educational apps for your child.
The latest tech news delivered to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.