outbrain
Close  

Apple’s Cook: Complying with FBI demand ‘bad for America’

/ 08:41 AM February 25, 2016
Apple Encryption Tim Cook

This image made from video and released by ABC News shows Apple CEO Tim Cook, left, during an exclusive interview with anchor David Muir, airing Wednesday, Feb. 24 on “World News Tonight with David Muir,” at 6:30 p.m. EST. The extended exclusive interview will be available online at ABCNews.com immediately following the program. AP

SAN FRANCISCO — Apple CEO Tim Cook said Wednesday that it would be “bad for America” if his company complied with the FBI’s demand for help unlocking an encrypted iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters.

In his first interview since the controversy erupted last week, Cook told ABC News that it was a difficult choice to resist the government’s request for help with the iPhone used by Syed Farook, one of two extremists who killed 14 people in the California city in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Some things are hard and some things are right, and some things are both. This is one of those things,” Cook said in a video clip released by ABC News. The interview came as both sides in the dispute are courting public support while also mustering legal arguments in the case.

READ: Bill Gates supports government efforts in Apple case

FEATURED STORIES
TECHNOLOGY

Federal officials have said they’re only asking for narrow assistance in bypassing some security features on the iPhone, which they believe may contain information related to the mass murders. Apple has argued that doing so would make other iPhones more susceptible to hacking by authorities or criminals in the future.

“We know that doing this would expose people to incredible vulnerabilities,” Cook said. “This would be bad for America. It would also set a precedent that I believe many people in America would be offended by.”

Cook complained that Apple learned from the news media about a federal magistrate’s decision last week to order the company to create the software that FBI investigators want. Court documents indicate that authorities had previously consulted with Apple about ways to obtain the data on the phone.

“I don’t think that something so important to the country should be handled in this way,” Cook said.

A Department of Justice spokeswoman did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Apple is expected to file its legal response to the judge’s order by Friday.

READ: Facebook’s Zuckerberg ‘sympathetic’ with Apple’s fight with US authorities

ADVERTISEMENT
TOPICS: Apple, encryption, FBI, hacking, iPhone, san Bernardino, terror, Tim Cook
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.