Chinese shopper bites smartphone battery to test if it’s genuine, causes explosion
A Chinese man picking up a replacement battery for his smartphone decided to test the battery’s authenticity by biting it. This caused the battery to explode in front of him.
The incident took place in an electronics shop in China, as reported by Taiwan News. CCTV footage of the event had been uploaded on the Chinese video sharing site Miaopai by mobile phone repair group GeekBar.
Fortunately for the man and those around him, they remained uninjured despite the bright flash created by the exploding battery.
Apparently, Chinese electronics stores have gained a reputation for selling counterfeit products. This prompted the man to double check whether his purchase was authentic, thus, he just had to bite the battery.
On the other hand, such method of testing is not recommended because biting down on a lithium ion battery may cause catastrophic failure in the battery’s inner workings. This could induce the same fiery result as the one experienced by this curious Chinese shopper. Alfred Bayle/JB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.