Exploring Amazon’s Latest Household Helper: Meet Astro
Amazon opened online orders for its latest gadget, a household helper robot called Astro. The eCommerce firm first revealed the bot during its September hardware event. The company described Astro as a “new kind of household robot that integrates Alexa, advanced hardware, software, computer vision, and AI.”
It also claimed every home would have a robot in five to 10 years. Amazon would likely spark a new AI revolution for smart home devices because it is one of the world’s largest companies. In other words, we would likely see Amazon Astro and similar devices in more houses.
You may buy one soon, so you should see how these robots work. This article will discuss how to purchase your first Amazon Astro. Then, we will cover its features, such as Fire tablet compatibility and “unique AI persona.”
How to order an Amazon Astro
Amazon enabled online orders for its new robot but should invite you first. Also, it is only available in the United States. You can request an invitation by following these instructions:
- Log in to your Amazon account. Create one if you don’t have one already.
- Next, head to the Amazon Astro webpage.
- Select the Request an Invitation button on the right side of the page.
- The website will redirect you to a survey page. Answer the questions to complete your request.
- Afterward, wait for the company to send an invitation.
- Once you receive the invite, return to the Astro product page to complete your purchase.
You may also like: How To Connect With Your Troubled Kid With Amazon Music
The eCommerce giant reminds customers that it has limited supplies of Amazon Astro bots. Consequently, the company may not grant your request.
The bot is also a Day One Edition device, meaning Amazon released it to collect user feedback for future product development. Note that an Amazon Astro robot costs $1,599.
What are the features of Amazon Astro?
The online retail firm kept many Astro features secret during its 2022 hardware event. Fortunately, it revealed more information after releasing the product:
- Intelligent motion: Amazon Astro uses artificial intelligence to navigate your home. Consequently, unlike most robot vacuum cleaners, you can rest assured that the bot will not bump into household items.
- Robot home security: Astro can check specific rooms, people, and objects via AI recognition. Also, it notifies you if it detects an unrecognized sound or person while you’re away.
- Periscope camera: Astro lets you see through its “eyes.” You could manually control the robot to roam your house and look at specific people and objects. For example, you can open Amazon Astro to confirm you turned off your stove. Also, the camera’s retractable pole lets you see things low and high.
- Robot assistance: Amazon Astro can follow you to deliver messages, calls, timers, reminders, or alarms, thanks to its built-in Alexa Together subscription.
- Ring Protect Pro: The robot’s built-in subscription saves video footage in Ring cloud storage for 180 days.
- Privacy control: You may switch off Amazon Astro’s cameras, microphones, and motion by tapping on the Astro app. Moreover, you can tell the robot where it shouldn’t go.
- Accessories: You can attach numerous gadgets like a Ziploc container, which lets your robot carry food around your home. Also, you can attach an OMRON blood pressure monitor to track a loved one’s health. Astro can also help your furry buddy by giving treats via Furbo Dog Camera.
- Cuteness: Amazon Astro looks like a sleeker version of the WALL-E robot from the namesake Disney film. It has a monitor that simulates a cute robot face with round eyes. Also, you can attach wheel decals to personalize your robot.
What are the applications of Amazon Astro?
These features let you do numerous things with the robot. Let us say someone is calling your parent. You can send the bot to your mom or dad so they can take the call.
You may also set a routine so that Amazon Astro reminds a loved one to take their medicine. If you installed an OMRON blood pressure tracker, it could help that person check their vitals.
You may also like: OpenAI Is Developing ChatGPT Robots
You can program Astro to check on your pets. If you install the Furbo Dog Camera, it can feed your furry companion while you’re away. It can notify you if the window or door is open.
Moreover, it will take pictures and videos to prove the encounter. Astro will ask you if it notified you correctly. In response, its machine learning will ensure it can follow your command correctly.
People in the United States may order an Amazon Astro robot if they receive an invitation. If you didn’t get one, you can send a request to the product webpage.
Astro costs $1,599, keeping most people from buying one. Yet, we would likely see similar devices in the future. After all, Elon Musk promised he would launch his Optimus household robot.
Do you want to know more about the future of robotics? Follow Inquirer Tech for the latest tips and trends regarding robots, artificial intelligence, and more.
Frequently asked questions about Amazon Astro
What are the uses of Amazon Astro?
Amazon Astro serves as a household helper and security guard. It can carry objects to family members and follow you to send reminders and notifications. Also, Astro can roam your home while you’re away to check for intruders and other emergencies. However, you need to attach specific accessories for its other features.
Is Amazon Astro a vacuum?
Amazon Astro is not a robot vacuum, so it cannot clean your floors or pick up messes. However, it has a navigation system more advanced than robo-hoovers, ensuring it does not collide with household objects. Also, Astro has more features, such as home security roaming, health tracking, and periscope viewing.
Does Amazon Astro work on carpets?
The Amazon robot traverses all flat household surfaces, such as carpets, tiles, and wood panels. However, it cannot ascend and alight stairs because it moves with two wheels. Also, you must ensure your floor does not have non-fixed obstructions like cords and shoes. You need a constant Wi-Fi connection to activate its online features.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.