Netflix will launch a game controller app on iOS
Netflix posted a game controller app on the Apple App Store, allowing people to play its games on a TV. It projects a touchscreen interface while you view your games on a larger screen. However, the download page hasn’t specified a release date for the new mobile application. Also, it did not list games that would be available for the app.
Most people recognize Netflix as a video streaming service, but it has expanded into other media types. Specifically, the platform lets you download and play games in its arguably limited library. The Netflix Game Controller app could be its next step toward the video game market. Soon, “Netflix and Chill” will have a different meaning.
This article will share what we know about the Netflix Game Controller. Later, I will discuss how to play video games on the world-famous video streaming service.
How does the Netflix Game Controller work?
Netflix is working on expanding its games service to TVs and even plans to let you use your iPhone as a controller. https://t.co/mKPHMeJDXJ
— Mark Gurman (@markgurman) March 30, 2023
You can check the Netflix Game Controller on the Apple App Store but you can’t download it yet. The page describes this free mobile application with this statement:
“Coming soon to Netflix. Play games on your TV with the Netflix Game Controller. This Game Controller app pairs with your TV and allows you to play games on Netflix using your phone or mobile device.”
Apple insider 9to5Mac says many have been speculating about this program, and its launch proves them. Also, it claims the app will have limited functionality at launch.
The website claims the Netflix Controller explains how it works with this sentence, “To begin, choose a game on your TV and follow the directions to connect.” Moreover, it shows the following disclaimer:
“Netflix Games on TV are in beta. Some devices may not be supported at this time,” it says. The App Store page shows what the mobile app would look like.
The iPhone and iPad previews show a black screen with a white circle on the left. That could be the directional joystick in most mobile games like Mobile Legends: Bang Bang.
The right has “A,” “B,” “X,” and “Y” buttons, similar to the Xbox controller. Consequently, you may tap those buttons to perform actions like picking up items or battling foes.
You may also like: Netflix posts $900,000 AI job
The only difference between the iPhone and iPad images is the size. It seems you will grasp the game controller in a horizontal or landscape orientation to turn your device into a controller.
You interact with the directional pad and buttons with your thumbs. However, the Netflix Game Controller page doesn’t explain how to connect it to your TV.
One problem with the layout is the lack of buttons. Some Netflix games like Moonlighter require shoulder buttons absent in the touchscreen controller.
How do you play games on Netflix?
Netflix offers games you can play without its upcoming Controller app. If you can’t find the Games section, you must meet these requirements first:
- If you are using an Android phone or tablet, it should have Android 8.0 or later.
- If you use an iPad or iPhone, it should run iOS or iPad OS 15 or later.
- Also, you must have an active Netflix subscription.
- You must have an internet connection to download and install games on mobile devices.
- Moreover, you need sufficient storage space for the games.
- Note that some games have additional requirements. Moreover, they are not available for Kids profiles. Check their maturity ratings before downloading.
You may also like: Netflix develops AI green screen tech
Install Netflix games on iOS
- Scroll down from the home screen to find the Netflix Games section.
- Then, pick a game and tap Get Game to open the Apple App Store.
- Tap Get or choose the Cloud icon.
- Afterward, your game will download and install.
- Once the download finishes, you can find the game under the Netflix Games section.
- Your game will start using the primary profile in your Netflix account. Tap the Profile icon in the game to choose a different one.
You may also like: The best Apple TV learning apps
Install Netflix games on Android
- Open the Netflix app.
- Scroll down from the home screen to find the Netflix Games row. Alternatively, you may tap the Games tab.
- Afterward, choose a title, then tap Get Game.
- The Google Play Store should have opened. Then, tap Install. You may encounter a Permissions screen depending on your device settings. Tap Accept if it happens to you.
- Your game should now download and install. Afterward, tap Open. You can find mobile games under the Netflix Games section of the app.
- Also, you can see it on your device’s home screen.
- Pick a profile and start playing your Netflix game!
You may also like: How to cancel your Netflix subscription
The Netflix Game Controller app will turn your mobile device into a controller for Netflix games. As a result, you can play titles on a large TV screen.
Netflix did not specify a release date at the time of writing, and it hasn’t explained how it will link to your television. Nonetheless, you can play games on the video streaming app.
Check your Netflix app for the available games. Moreover, explore the latest in gaming, artificial intelligence, social media, and more at Inquirer Tech.