Close  
  • share this

Dota banned by Dasmariñas, Cavite, village

/ 01:49 PM January 21, 2015
SCREENGRAB from blog.dota2.com

SCREENGRAB from blog.dota2.com

MANILA, Philippines—A barangay (village) in Dasmariñas City has issued a resolution banning the multi-player online game Defense of the Ancients (Dota) in computer shops within its jurisdiction.

According to Resolution 008-S-2015 dated January 5, 2015, issued by the Barangay Council of Salawag, Dota was being banned because it had already become a tool for gambling and was causing discord in the community.

ADVERTISEMENT

The resolution, which was written in Filipino, added that Dota was inducing the youth in their barangay to become violent to the point of committing murder.

It said that because of Dota’s “bad influence,” the young were “nagiging bayolente at natutong manloko, magnakaw.” (They are becoming violent and are learning to deceive, steal.)

FEATURED STORIES

It added, “[Di] malayong pumatay [sila] o mamatay makapaglaro lamang.” ([I]t is not a far possibility for them to kill or be killed just to play.)

A copy of the resolution has been circulated in social media.

Salawag chief Enrico Paredes confirmed the authenticity of the resolution to INQUIRER.net.

Computer shop owners who will violate Resolution 008-S-2015 face the following penalties: first offense, suspension of shop operations for a month; second offense, revocation of business permit; and third offense, permanent closure of computer shop and non-issuance of business permit.

Out of love

Paredes said the barangay resolution was crafted “out of love” for their young whose lives “are being ruined by Dota.”

He added that the game was forcing students to cut class, say profane words and neglect their studies.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa aking mga kababayan, ginawa po natin itong barangay resolution dahil naniniwala kami na ito ang tama para sa mga kabataan,” said Paredes in his Facebook account. (My friends, we passed this village resolution because we believe that it is what’s right for our young.)

“Mahal namin ang ating mga kabataan at hindi kami papayag na masira ang kanilang kinabukasan,” he added. (We love our young and we will not allow their futures to get ruined.)

2 teenagers killed

The village chief said they decided to ban Dota after two teenagers were stabbed to death in their barangay over differences that supposedly stemmed from playing the game.

The latest stabbing incident happened last November, he said.

According to Paredes, barangay officials consulted with the owners of 30 computer shops in their village and 29 of them agreed with the measure. Paredes said the shop owners admitted that they could not contain the “violent” demeanor of teenage Dota players.

Citywide ordinance?

The Salawag barangay captain claimed that the resolution had been positively received by thankful parents and school administrators.

Asked about the village council’s next move, Paredes said they would be endorsing a city-wide ban of Dota to the Sanggunian Panlungsod of Dasmariñas.

“Mga next month po, mailalabas na po namin ‘yung ordinance and hopefully, maipasa na sa Sangguniang Panglungsod,” he said. (By next month, we will release the ordinance and hopefully, it could be endorsed to the City Council.)

The 2010 census showed that Barangay Salawag had a population of 61, 441.

RELATED STORIES

Boy can’t take any more nagging, kills grandma

Esports by Inquirer.net

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cavite, Dasmarinas, Dota, Online gaming, Salawag
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.